A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z


Adhesive: Substance capable of adhering one surface to another.

Air Cell: A space between the product and the inside wall of a box, created be inner packing.

Back to Top


Banded Unit: A unitized/palletized load that has a band or bands applied to it.

Basis Weight: The measurement of mass per unit area is expressed in pounds per 1,000 square feet (MSF).

Blank or (Box Blank): A flat sheet of corrugated that has been cut, slotted and scored so that, when folded along the score lines and joined, it will form a box

Board: See Corrugated Board.

Box: A rigid container having closed faces and completely enclosing its contents.

Box Manufacturer: A establishment that has the equipment and the capabilities to score, slot, print and join corrugated sheets into boxes.

Box Manufacturer's Certificate (BMC): A statement printed within a circular or rectangular border on a corrugated box guaranteeing that all applicable construction requirements of the carrier classifications have been observed and identifying the box manufacture

Box Style: Distinctive configuration of a box design, without regard to size. Name or number identifies styles in common use

Boxboard: A general term designating the material used in the manufacture of corrugated.

Build-up: Multiple layers of corrugated board glued together to form a pad of desired thickness.

Bulk: Loose items not packed or bound within a container.

Bundle: A unit of two or more items or boxes wrapped or fastened together by suitable means
Buristng Strength/(Mullen): The force required to rupture linerboard or combined board, as measured by the Cady of Mullen tester.

Bursting Strength: The resistance of a material to being punctured, expressed in terms of pounds per square inch, as measured by a Mullen testing machine.

Back to Top


Carton: A folding box made from boxboard, used for shipping and warehousing.

Case: A filled container, or could be used to describe a bulk pack.

Chipboard: A paperboard generally made from recycled paper stock. Uses include backing sheets for padded writing paper, partitions within boxes, and the center ply or plies of solid fiberboard.

Container: An item used to contain or hold goods for shipping or warehousing.

Corrugated Board: The structure formed by gluing one or more sheets of fluted corrugating medium to one or more flat facings of linerboard. There are four common types:

Corrugated Single Face
  • Single Face: Combination of one fluted corrugated medium glued to one flat facing of linerboard
Corrugated Single Wall
  • Single Wall: Two flat facings of linerboard, one glued to each side of a corrugated sheet. Also known as Double Face.
Corrugated Double Wall
  • Double Wall: Three flat facings of linerboard, with two interleaved and glued corrugated mediums.
Corrugated Triple Wall
  • Triple Wall: Four flat facings of linerboard with three interleaved and glued corrugated mediums

Corrugated Medium: The type of paperboard used in forming the fluted portion of corrugated board.

Corrugator: The machine that is used to produce, manufacture and corrugate fiberboard.

Back to Top


Die Cut: A style of packaging that is stamped out using steel rule cutting dies, and is usually perimeter stripped. Die cut containers are especially useful for displays.

Dimensions: The three measurements of a box, given in the sequence of length, width and depth. Inside dimensions are used to ensure proper fit around a product.

(Also see How To Measure A Box)

  • Length: The larger of the two dimensions of the open face of a box as it is set up to receive product.
  • Width: The smaller of the two dimensions of the open face.
  • Depth: The distance measured perpendicular to the length and width.

    Back to Top


ECT: The amount of force needed to crush on-edge on combined board.

Back to Top


Facings: Sheets of linerboard used as the flat outer member of combined corrugated board.

Fiberboard Box : A box made from corrugated material.

Flaps: Extensions of the sidewall that close a box. Flaps are then usually closed with tape, glue or metal staples.

Flute: The material in the center of a corrugated sheet that resembles a waved sheet of paper. Common flute types are expressed in letterform: A, B, C, E, F, B/C.

Flute Direction: Direction of fluting material usually in the vertical direction. Flute direction is usually determined by how the container will be stacked.

Back to Top


Glue: Substance capable of adhering one surface to another.

Back to Top


Hand Hole: A cutout in a panel of a box that permits entry of a person's fingers, facilitating lifting and carrying the box.

Hot-melt Adhesive: Polymer adhesive, solid at room temperature, which is liquefied my heat, applied molten and forms a bond by cooling and solidifying.

Back to Top


Inner Packing: Items used inside the container to support, and protect the item, or items that the container contains.

Back to Top


Joint (Manufacturer's Joint): The part of the container that is used to form a four-sided box. The joint is usually in the form of glue, tape of wire stitch.

Back to Top


KnockDown (KD): Boxes in flat form, either before or after the joint has been formed.

Kraft: Word of German origin meaning strength: designates pulp, paper or paperboard produced from wood fibers by the sulfate process. Natural kraft has a characteristic light brown appearance.

Back to Top


Label: A sheet of paper that is applied to the surface of a corrugated sheet. Labels are usually described in terms of full labels, which are usually the full size of the corrugated sheet, or spot labels, which are usually smaller.

Laminator: A machine that adheres multiple plies of paper or fiberboard.

Liner BoardLiner: An unfluted facing of combined corrugated board.

Back to Top


Master Pack: A shipper designed to contain a number of inner containers.

Medium: A material used for the fluting in corrugated board

Mullen Test: A test applied to corrugated board and its component material to measure bursting strength.

Back to Top


Pad: A corrugated sheet used as a separator, or used in the container as extra protection.

Panel: A side of a box.

Partitions: A set of corrugated pieces that interlock when assembled to form a number of cells into which articles may be placed for shipments.

Ply: Any of the several layers of linerboard.

Printer-Slotter: A machine that takes a flat corrugated sheet, prints, scores and slots the sheet to form a box when joined.

Back to Top


Score or Score Line: An impression or crease in corrugated or solid fiberboard made to position and fabricate folds.

Sheet: A square or rectangular piece of corrugated.

Shipping Container: A container that is used in conjunction with commercial shipping.

Slip-Sheet: A sheet that is used as a base on which other material is transported or shipped.

Slit: A cut used in the corrugated in place of a score.

Slit-Score: A cut made in a fiberboard sheet extending thorough only a portion of the thickness.

Slot: A cutout in the manufacture of a corrugated container usually on top and bottom, which is used to form the flaps of the container.

Stapler or Stitcher: Machine that seals the joint and/or flaps of a box with metal staples or stitches.

Stitches: Metal fasteners used to seal the joint of a box or close the flaps.

Back to Top


Tape: A strip of paper sometimes reinforced with material used to form the joint of the container. Can be used also for closure of the top and bottom flaps of the container. Common sizes of tape are 2" and 3" widths.

Taper: The machine that applies the tape joint to a container.

Tube: A multisided form that has no top or bottom sides usually used as a form of inner packing.

Back to Top